Effective: May 25, 2018
1. The Basics
Linklings, LLC (“Linklings”, “we”, “us” or “our”) is committed to protecting the privacy of its users and other individuals with whom it interacts.
This Policy will apply to personal information that we collect or otherwise receive about third parties (“you”), including Linklings Users (“Users”), when you use our Websites or otherwise engage with us. Personal information which is provided to us, or otherwise obtained by us, from which you can be identified (“Personal Information”) will only be used in the manner set out in this Policy. When visiting and/or contacting us through the Websites (or otherwise engaging with us), you need to be aware that we may collect, use and transfer your Personal Information in the manner described in this Policy. The organization (e.g., your employer or another entity or person) that entered into the Customer Agreement (“Customer”) controls their instance of the Services (their “Linklings Site”) and any associated Customer and User Data. If you have any questions about specific Linklings Site settings and privacy practices, please contact the Customer whose Linklings Site you use.
2. How We Collect and Use Your Personal Information
We only collect Personal Information on behalf of our Customer who has contracted the use of our services and who decides what information to gather. The Customer is the data controller of the data entered on forms in their Linklings Site. The Customer has access to all of this Information.
We only collect Personal Information that is relevant to the Customer’s activities and we seek to ensure that the Personal Information is accurate and uptodate. Personal Information collected may include: your name, address and contact details, including your email address, telephone number, organization, age range, gender, race, nationality, and disability. The Personal Information that we collect may be provided by you or another user (e.g., when an author includes coauthors in their submission, when a committee chair adds committee members, etc.) through our services. The information that is provided to us may occasionally be used to improve our Websites and wider offerings (on a confidential basis) or to enable us to comply with our legal obligations. Aside from this we will only use your Personal Information for staying in touch with you (as described in more detail below) and generally for the purposes for which you provided it, including in order to:
- process your submissions, applications, nominations, reviews and the like for a conference, event, or other activity;
- process your involvement in a committee or group;
- process data exports for specific needs of the Customer (i.e., website, printed program, mobile app, etc.);
- provide historical data for the Customer. Data will be kept in accordance with the customer’s contract.
3. User Databases
We maintain User databases that contain profile information (such as your name, address and contact details), as well as a record of submissions, review assignments, conflicts of interest, reviews submitted, committees, and similar information involved in the services we provide. The information in these databases is used by authorized Linklings staff members to process requests, respond to User inquiries, and help us improve our offerings. User records may maintained forever, depending on the Customer’s contract. All Personal Information contained in our user databases is treated as confidential and will be used only for the purposes stated in this Policy, except where required by law. See the “Confidentiality” and “Third Parties” sections below for more information.
From time to time we may send emails to Users, such as:
- Automated notification email messages that are a part of an online submission and review process involving a User (e.g. notifications when submissions or reviews are submitted or updated, etc). Emails of this type may or may not be configured by the Customer, and are automatically sent as actions are taken within the site. If at any time you decide you no longer wish to receive such email messages, a user has to cease being a submitter, reviewer, committee member, or whatever role was involved in the email.
- Custom email messages that are created and sent by the Customer to other Users to facilitate the submission, review, or other group activity within the site (e.g. acceptance or rejection notifications sent to authors, instructions sent to reviewers regarding review criteria and deadlines, instructions sent to committee members regarding an upcoming meeting, etc). Emails of this type are configured by the Customer and are sent at the Customer’s discretion. If at any time you decide you no longer wish to receive such email messages, a user has to cease being a submitter, reviewer, committee member, or whatever role was involved in the email.
- Occasional “Active ToDo Item” reminder emails about important outstanding items. These announcements are short, straightforward messages that contain pointers to the specific “ToDo Item” where users can complete the needed task. If at any time you decide you no longer wish to receive “Active ToDo Item” reminder emails, you can update your “ToDo Email Notifications Settings” on your account page.
- Where we have the consent of Users, emails sent to specific groups of people on distribution lists (e.g. Calls For Participation, etc.). Only Linklings staff can create and support “linklings.net” email distribution lists. If at any time you decide you no longer wish to receive group and distribution list emails, you may do so by using the “unsubscribe” instructions set out at the bottom of each email. We do not sell, rent, or exchange email addresses of our Users.
We will only share or disclose User Information at the instruction of the Customer.
5. Website User Accounts
Some portions of a Linklings Site, for example the online submission management system, require a Linklings User account. To create an account, Users must provide their name, email address, organization/affiliation, and are asked to create a password.
Other Users may add your Personal Information into the Website as a normal activity when carrying out the purpose of the Website. For instance, an author may list the names and contact information of coauthors when submitting their work; a committee chair may enter the names and email addresses of members of a reviewing committee; and other such cases. When this happens, we may create a User account for you and contact you to give you access to the Personal Information that has been entered, as well as the ability to perform related tasks (such as updating the submission you are coauthoring, or entering reviews).
At any time you may view, update, or delete your User account as described in the section “Viewing and Updating Your Personal Information”.
6. Technical Personal Information
8. Third Parties
From time to time, we may share Personal Information about Linklings Users with third parties (e.g., copyright management systems, print and online publications, conference attendee mobile apps, etc.) when it is necessary for the performance or provision of the services that you or the customer have requested, or in response to a valid legal process (for example, a search warrant, subpoena, or court order).
Third parties with whom your Personal Information may be shared include outside contractors, auditors, consultants, and others hired by Linklings to assist in carrying out financial or operational activities. We require them to use it only for authorized purposes consistent with this Policy, and to return it to us or destroy it upon completion of the activity.
Conversely, we may receive Personal Information from these third parties that they collect from you in the course of an engagement you have with them. Where this is the case, once we are holding your Personal Information it will be treated in accordance with this Policy.
9. Global Transfer of Personal Information
The Personal Information you provide to us will be transferred to and stored on servers in the United States of America, and we take steps to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage. In using and processing your Personal Information, it may on occasion be transferred to, stored and/or processed by our offices located outside of your country of residence. Similarly, we may also transfer your Personal Information from your country of residence in connection with our use and retention of your Personal Information as described in this Policy. By submitting your Personal Information, you are acknowledging this transfer, storage and processing. As we recognize the importance of data security, we require all of our offices to handle your data in accordance with this Policy.
Our Website sometimes includes links to other nonLinklings websites whose privacy practices may differ from those of Linklings. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that they may have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any Personal Information to these websites.
The security of Personal Information is important to us. We maintain all Personal Information with technical, administrative, and physical safeguards to protect against loss, unauthorized access, destruction, misuse, modification, and improper disclosure. While no computer system or information can ever be fully protected against every possible hazard, we provide reasonable and appropriate security controls to protect Personal Information against foreseeable hazards.
12. Changes to this Policy
13. Managing your Personal Information
Users may view and update the Personal Information contained in their user profile by logging into our Website and clicking on the “My Account” link. Individuals located in certain countries, including the European Economic Area, have certain statutory rights in relation to their personal data. Subject to any exemptions provided by law, you may have the right to request complete access to your Personal Information, as well as to update, delete or correct this Information. If the tools present on the “My Account” page are not sufficient for your needs, please contact Linklings at email@example.com with your request or the Customer responsible for the Linklings Site of your User Account.
14. Contact Us
Questions, comments and requests regarding this Policy should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.